20110315

Letting Go

Today in my Clinical Psychology Seminar, we were talking about parents saying certain things that aggravate us, even thought it wasn't said to purposely evoke that response. For instance, if a parent says "Oh you look happy today." Am I not normally happy? Or, "What's wrong", when nothing is actually wrong. These questions can prompt us (children) to get upset for some reason, and just shrug them (parents) off. My teacher then explained that parents are used to their children being completely dependent from birth and the next 18-20 years are about learning how to let go. That statement really hit home for me. Even though I get snippy in certain situations when my parents are just trying to help, I appreciate everything they do for me, especially looking back on the past 5 years. Thank you for giving me room to grow, but still being my backbone.

No comments: