20100417

Page 58.

"Without the concept of an other,
there is no separate I.
Without the sense of an I,
nothing can be seen as other.
There is some power that determines things,
but I don't know what it is.
It has no form or substance,
acts without doing,
keeps the universe in order,
and seems to get along
perfectly well without me."

In the mind's spectrum of awareness, solipsism and paranoia are located at about the same point, There's not much difference between an inflated I and an inflated other. Wisdom means no separation. it's easy to keep things at a distance; it's hard to be naturally beyond them. The more intimate you are with yourself, the less anyone can be an other.
The power that determines things isn't for me, but it isn't anything else. Realizing this is freedom. It has nothing to do with the credos of religion, those hundred-piece oom-pa-pa bands meant to drown out the sound of doubt. What keeps the whole universe in order speaks with the still small voice of silence. Only they don't-know mind can hear it.

-The Second Book of the Tao.

No comments: